Kuldiga Old City
Kuldīga was first mentioned in 1242. It joined the Hanseatic League in 1368. In the 17th century, Kuldīga was one of the capitals of the Duchy of Courland from 1596 to 1616. Kuldīga is an ancient town in Latvia's western region of Kurzeme with distinctive architecture, which is a candidate for inclusion in the list of the UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. Saint Catherine is believed to be the patron saint of Kuldīga, and the oldest church of the town is named after St Catherine. The foundation of the building was laid as early as in 1252. The church has been remodeled a number of times. The small River Alekšupīte runs through the very centre of the Kuldīga old town, along the walls of the houses. The Old Town around the small river itself is the only remaining 17th–18th-century ensemble of this kind in the Baltic states. The Venta Rapid, a 240-meter wide natural waterfall, is the widest in Europe. Not far from the waterfall is the Kuldīga brick bridge built in 1874, which is the longest bridge of this type in Europe. All these photos were taken in Kuldiga Old city.